Monday 24 March 2014

salt+light

About a year ago, I started sponsoring Ivette, a 14-year-old girl from Burkina Faso, through Compassion Canada. Being able to provide her with some financial support has been great but my favourite part has been the letters.

I send her photos of my family and friends and she draws pictures for me. She tells me about her school and her family while I write about the fact that it's likely never going to stop snowing in New Brunswick this winter. I share scripture that's been inspiring me lately and she asks me to pray for her and her family.

I'm used to getting a lot of questions about my family, about my job, about my cat (yes. I have sent her photos of Lyla), but the question that came with the latest letter I received surprised me.

"What do you think about being the salt and the light in daily life?"

Though you see this world in me, you know all that I can be
and I am precious in your sight. 

Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Matthew 5:13

I really like salt. A lot.

Given the choice between a bag of chips or a chocolate bar, I will always, always choose chips. Although I've taken steps to scale back the sodium in my diet over the last few years, salt is one of my favourite seasonings. It's simple and flavourful at the same time. What more could you ask for?

The only thing I don't like about salt is the thirst. It kicks in about half way through the process of devouring a large bag of theatre popcorn and suddenly, the ginormous cup filled with iced tea that came with the combo is too small.

Considering these two traits of salt, it makes sense to me that Jesus would want us to be the salt of the earth and not the basil or the thyme or the paprika. I think sometimes people get the wrong idea about what it means to be a Christian - they think it's this boring life where you can't say or do anything fun and exciting. Maybe that's true for some people, but that hasn't been my experience. Having a relationship with Christ has enriched my life. It's changed the ways I interact with and relate to others. It's jumped started my creativity and brought a calm to my otherwise chaotic life.  It's made me think about my priorities, about the way I spend my time (and money) and make changes that have boosted my happiness because they're more true to the person I am.

My life isn't perfect, but it's blessed and far from boring. My flavour is happiness and joy and peace, all three a direct result of where I've put my faith and trust. None of these flavours should be subtle, either; they should be prominent and pleasing to anyone who comes in contact with them.

And what we're reflecting through our thoughts and actions every day should make others thirst for more.

***

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid/ Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house/ Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 5: 14-16

My partner likes to sleep with the curtains in our bedroom drawn shut.

We live on the top floor of our building with all our windows facing the parking lot of a high school where a street light of sorts is on all through the evening. The curtains fall somewhere between seafoam and evergreen and they're thick and heavy.

My partner likes to close them because they block out all the light and make it easier to for him to sleep.  I dislike having them closed because when all the light is blocked out, I find it hard to wake up in the morning.

I need morning light to get me going in the morning. I'll never be one of those people who can wake up on time without an alarm clock, but light cutting through the darkness tells me it's time for a new day.

That's the thing about light - it dispels the dark and warms those it reaches. It brings us back to life and helps things grow. It brings clarity and understanding.

Jesus was the light of the world and he calls on his followers to be the same. He wants us to be people who dispel the darkness and who warm those who reach us. He wants us to fight back against ignorance and prejudice and selfishness. He want us to shine light on who he is through our thoughts, actions and words.

He wants us to stop hitting the snooze button and go and live and thrive.

***

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me/ For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it/ For what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Matthew 16: 24-26


I guess the short answer to the question - what do you think about being the salt and the light in daily life - is "a lot." I'm not sure how I'm going to condense these thoughts when I sit down to write my letter to Ivette, but hopefully whatever I come up with will be in the spirit of the question.

If not...well, hopefully she'll enjoy the stickers.

Jesus, help us carry you. Alive in us, your light shines through.
With every act of love we bring the Kingdom come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment