Saturday 20 May 2017

Don't blame it on the avocado

I bought an avocado today.

For the third week in a row, quinoa chickpea salad is on the menu and while it's delicious on its own, I like it even better with the addition of an egg and a bit of hot sauce. Avocado, I figure, will only enhance the taste of the dish further.

So I added it to the shopping list. It cost $1.29 and I didn't hesitate for a second to put it in the cart and carry on with the rest of the shopping.

Tim Gurner probably wouldn't have liked that decision. Actually, Tim Gurner probably wouldn't like most of the decisions I make when it comes to money.

In case you missed it, Mr. Gurner, an Australian millionaire and property mogul, went viral recently with his suggestion that spending money on things like avocados and coffee may be among the reasons why some young people can't afford to buy a house.

Although there have been some who have suggested Mr. Gurner may have a point, a lot of the feedback was...well, exactly what you would expect from the Internet.


I shared that tweet because it made laugh when I read it. It still does - but it also ticks me off, particularly when I consider he's not the only one who thinks this way.

I don't want to turn this into a whiney post about how misunderstood the millennial generation is but I do think it's important to consider a few points Mr. Gurner's comments fail to reflect - and as a 27-year-old who has a well-paying job, significant savings (short term and retirement) and STILL is not in a position to buy a house, I feel I am qualified to raise those points. 

1.  Started from the bottom...and we're still here

As of 2015, borrowers owed $19 billion to the Canada Student Loans Program. And as this report from Global notes, the number of young Canadians declaring bankruptcy is on the rise. 

Gone are the days when you could make enough money during the summer to cover your tuition at university for the year. When once your started your adult life at the bottom financially, I'd suggest many find themselves starting below that today. 

That's challenging enough on its own, without adding in the whole struggle of finding a job that will pay you enough to meet all your financial obligations.  The whole "need experience to get the job, need the job to get experience" thing is a very real phenomenon that needs to be addressed. 

Every generation faces economic challenges but that does not mean it's OK to discount the existing situation with massive levels of student debt as business as usual. It's not. 

2. It's not irresponsible to want to enjoy your life

I really dislike the idea that there is something wrong with spending the money you make through work on things that aren't "necessities." 

Yes, it is important to be fiscally responsible. You should pay your bills on time and you should save for the future. 

But I don't feel bad about spending $6 on a drink at Starbucks or dropping cash to travel to Ontario to see a concert with my best friend. I don't feel bad about these things because I know I was made to do more than pay bills and die. 

We all are. 

3. Owning a house isn't everyone's dream 

Suggesting the reason millennials aren't into the property buying game has something to do with the cost associated with it discounts the idea that there are some who aren't buying property because they simply don't want to.  And that's OK. 

There isn't anything wrong with renting.  Some would argue it's throwing your money away, but that depends on what you value. Not being able to paint your bedroom walls or upgrade the bathroom may not matter as much as the flexibility of a one-year lease with minimal maintenance responsibilities. 

I don't want to rent forever. I want to own a house with room for kids and a yard and all that good stuff.

But I'm OK with waiting for it.  With planning for it and saving for it. We are good at these things - and the avocado in our fridge won't be a huge set back in one day achieving our goal.

2 comments:

  1. Also, perhaps we aren't buying houses, because of said point about jobs: why would we buy a house in a city where our job is contract, or not what we want to do forever, because we can't a job to settle down in a city?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?? i think that is the flip side of the renting bullet - it's not so much about wanting to be flexible as needing to be. i know for jeff and i, the reason we are not really thinking about a house right now is because we have no idea where we will be in the next few years...and we have watched too many people struggle to sell when they either decide to or have to leave. ain't nobody got time for that!

      Delete